Friday, November 28, 2008

Thing #17: Web Based Apps

Well, it looks like I can't participate in Thing #16 just yet, I'm having trouble getting access to edit the wiki, so while I'm waiting, I suppose I'll move onto the next!

So, Web-based applications. I've had experience with Google Docs before, but not in the way the video (and this discovery exercise) intends it to be used. I took a class where we all submitted our own documents to a Google Docs account so our instructor could keep track of everyone's submissions. I like the idea of a collaborative document writing. It utilizes the goodness of wikis but takes away the public aspect. This could be helpful in libraries when members of a "team" or workforce are composing a document, report, or presentation together but don't want to send multiple documents around through the Internet.
The other way in which this would be helpful is with patrons. My library only has 8 computers that have Microsoft Word installed on them, and for some reason, people always take those computers first, even if they're just using the Internet. This is a problem when someone wants to use a word processor but can't have access to the right computers. Using Google Docs or Zoho Writer, they can use a free word processor to type up whatever, and save it without needing a disk or flash drive. Unfortunately, if the user does not already have a Google account, most of the time they don't want to take the time to "sign up for something else". But if they do have an account already, it's pretty awesome to be able to show someone something new they didn't know about!
Also, Web-based apps provide security in saving files. I had a mishap with my flash drive a few months back, and I lost a bunch of important files for my practicum. I started redoing docs and saving them on Zoho Writer, and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about them being lost again. Useful for patrons who never think to bring a disk (which happens a lot).

~T

No comments: