Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thing #13: Social Bookmarking

Man, I am way behind with this. I'm still on #13 when everyone is supposed to be finishing up their 23 things. Oh well, not like I can get the free flash drive anyway. =)

I recall an article a while back that talked about the future of personal Web organization, how it can be so much more than just that Bookmarking drop box on your Web browser menu. Enter del.icio.us. (I know the dots are no longer necessary, but I like them!) Del.icio.us allows users to set up an account, and tag their bookmarks with specific terms for easy sorting. What's more, you can see other users' bookmarks and search by specific tags to find links and pages, hence the "social" aspect of social bookmarking. I first used del.icio.us for a research paper for a class where the paper had different topics. This way, I could take my "sources" and continue to work on my paper at school, home, and sometimes even at work. (shh! Don't tell! It was off-desk hours anyway!) To be honest, I haven't really touched my del.icio.us account since my class ended in July, but it'd be nice to start it up again.

This is a good technology for public and academic library use. I liked CML's humanities page with all of its readers advisory book list links and "what do I read next" pages. I can also see possibilities for youth services too, with authoritative links to pages that can provide homework help and report research. Or maybe links to child-appropriate game sites like Webkinz and PBS Kids. The fact that any of these lists can be accessed from any remote location outside the library only furthers it's usage possibilities. Hmm, maybe I should mention del.icio.us at my next departmental meeting!

~T

1 comment:

Biker Librarian said...

Love the readers advisory idea. I hadn't thought of that before. Thanks for sharing.