Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thing #9: Finding Feeds

So now we have a news aggregator set up for reading Web feeds! But now, how do we find topical blogs and news pages to subscribe to? Of course, there are your basic news sites such as msnbc.com, cnn.com, etc. that have feed icons. But what about blogs? There's so many of them, how do you sort out the ones that are suitable to your needs? Fortunately, there are several blog tools that can sort out topical or location-based blogs and information.
Now, I've had problems using Technorati before, but it actually worked a lot better for me this time around, although I can see how users can have problems using it. Those tabs for a specific search can be easy to miss. Also, I tried Topix, which I hadn't used before, and I like how it automatically found me news about my community, Columbus. However, I was disappointed with my search results. Another new one for me, Syndic8, specifically searches not just blogs, but feeds, taking away a step in the aggregating process! I like that its key word, Google-esque search process made searching for specific feeds easy. All of the feeds on my search contained the key word in the title of the blog. Not completely effective, but a good method for users who are used to the primary KW search to find things.

~T

No comments: