Sunday, October 19, 2008

Thing #12: Twitter

Twitter is a strong example of a Web 2.0 technology that needs participants in order to succeed. I originally got my Twitter account as a part of a class assignment, and I thought it was the biggest waste of time. I had no "followers", therefore, what was the point of tweeting? It's like the old philosophical saying: "If a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one around..." But as time has gone by, and I've added followers and followed people, I've grown to like Twitter. It's not my favorite Web 2.0 technology, but it's something different. Most people use twitter as a form of social communication (only in 140 characters or less!) with their friends, but many of my library cohorts treat it as professional microblogging, which I think is how most libraries use it.

One example of a library using Twitter is Cleveland Public Library, who uses Twitter to inform followers on programs, user services, materials, and other library information news. Someone must be reading all the updates, as they have 250 followers.
Another using library is Homewood (AL) Public Library, which informs users on when a new book review is added to their book review blog.
For a teen services viewpoint, the East branch of Dayton Metro Library updates following teens on program pictures, (very) short book reviews, and program announcements.

As for me, I use my personal Twitter account for both professional microblogging as well as social interaction. I'll joke with a friend/follower AND post a link to a library related article I think is cool. But I guess that's how Web 2.0 technologies work, you find a purpose for using that makes sense to YOU. If anyone wants to follow me, you can find me here.

~T

No comments: