Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thing #21: Podcasts

In one of my MLIS classes, we had to search podcast directories and get to know them, and I never liked how any of the directories worked. I was much happier to get podcasts backwards, by having a beloved site that I already read on a daily basis and THEN finding out they have podcasts as well. That being said, Podcast Alley got me some good looking hits pretty easily. There are many examples of library-related podcasts, most being updates about programs or happenings at the library or book reviews. I love childrensbookradio.com, which is perfect to keep up with all of the great children's literature out there.Another example of podcasts is shown here at Salt Lake County Library, where they give a humorous look into how books are ordered and processed. One way I think podcasts would do very well in the youth services arena, where entire stories can be downloaded and listened to. Also, popular storytime songs can be recorded and made into a podcast. Want to sing the "Open Them, Shut Them" song with your toddler but don't remember all the words? It's only a click away on a library Web page.
The issue with podcasts in libraries is actually getting people to subscribe to them. We need to publicize the podcasts and show users that it's easy, worthwhile, and can even be fun!

~T

No comments: