Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thing #22: MOLDI

It happens every once in a while when I'm at the reference desk: someone comes up and asks me about downloading audio-books to their MP3 player. I break into a cold sweat, but I still smile and say "sure thing!" I think MOLDI (Mid-Ohio Library Digital Initiative) is something that library folk know about, as in they're aware of it, but few actually know it works. But after playing around with the site,...it's not so bad, not bad at all! MOLDI is great, but as far as the books available, go in with lowered expectations. No, they don't have every audiobook/ e-book in the universe. And not all audiobooks can be downloaded to ipods, although some can. And most can't be burned to CD due to licensing rights. But that being said, it's a great tool for finding audiobooks that certain libraries don't own. There were PLENTY of good items to choose from, although when there's a wait, ANY kind of wait, you know people get a little cranky over having to wait a day or 2. I put in a request for Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume, and I'm still a little disappointed I can't get it right this nanosecond. Oh well. patience is a virtue. And now I fear MOLDI no more!!!

~T

No comments: